top of page

The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trades. The skilled trades is an area of significant need in Canada.

Federal Skilled Trades Program candidates must plan to reside outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers through a unique immigration system.


Skilled work experience eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program falls under the following categories of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

  • Major Group 72: industrial, electrical and construction trades

  • Major Group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades

  • Major Group 82: supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production

  • Major Group 92: processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators

  • Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks

  • Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers

Note: You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed. If you don't show that you experience meets the description in the NOC, your application will be refused. 

Am I eligible to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

To be eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, potential candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Have at least two years of full-time paid work experience or an equal amount of part-time paid work experience in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply. Work can be non-continuous

  • Proof of basic language proficiency in English or French - equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, CLB 4 for reading and writing

  • Have a valid job offer of continuous, paid, full-time employment from up to two employers in Canada for at least one year OR a certificate of qualification from a provincial, federal or territorial body

  • Proof of sufficient money to settle in Canada 

Contact Lumen Immigration for more information or assistance applying through the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

bottom of page