top of page

The Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows international students who completed an eligible post-secondary program of study at a Canadian designated learning institution to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience.


With this permit, an international student is able to work with any employer and in any job in Canada. There is no requirement for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), or a confirmation of job offer to apply for a PGWP.

Graduates have 180 days after receiving their official letter of completion or transcripts from their designated learning institution, to apply for a PGWP.

How long is a post-graduation work permit valid?


How long your PGWP is valid for depends on the length of your study program.

  • If your program was less than 8 months you are not eligible for a PGWP

  • If your program was at least 8 months, but less than 2 years you may receive a PGWP that is valid for up to the same length as your study program. For example, if you completed a 9-month program, you may receive a work permit for up to 9 months.

  • If your program was 2 years or more you may receive a PGWP that is valid for 3 years.

  • If you completed more than one program, you may receive a PGWP that combines the length of each program. This is dependent on if the programs completed are PGWP-eligible and are at least 8 months in length.

Note: You are not able to get a PGWP f you already had one after completing an earlier program of study.

Am I eligible for a post-graduation work permit?


You may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit if you have:

  • A study permit that is valid within the last 180 days

  • Completed a study program at a designated learning institution that is at least eight months long, and that led to a degree, diploma or certificate

  • Maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester or your study program or programs of study and included as part of your post-graduation work permit application

  • Graduated from one of the following:

    • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical institution, university or CEGEP (in Quebec)

    • a private post-secondary institution in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public institutions in Quebec

    • a private or public secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, that leads to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS), or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS);

      • An AVS can be less than 900 hours if combined with a DVS.

    • a Canadian private institution that is authorized to award degrees under provincial law (for example, an Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree), but only if the student was enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree as authorized by the province, which may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution.

Contact Lumen Immigration for more information about the post-graduation work permit or assistance applying for a PGWP.

bottom of page