top of page

Spousal sponsorship is a major part of Canada's immigration system. Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are in a relationship with a foreign national can sponsor that person to join them and become a permanent resident of Canada. You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner. An important requirement is that the relationship is genuine and was not entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring permanent residence.

Am I eligible to sponsor my spouse or partner?

You can sponsor your spouse or partner if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old

  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered under the Canadian Indian Act

  • You live in Canada or are a Canadian citizen planning to return to the country

  • You are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than disability

  • You can provide for your basic needs, those of your spouse or partner and, if applicable, those of dependent children

As a sponsor you must:

  • Be able to support your partner financially

  • Make sure they will not require social assistance from the government

Who can I sponsor?

You can sponsor your spouse, common law partner or conjugal partner; and you will have to prove that you are in an authentic relationship.

  • Your spouse can be of either sex and most be legally married to you

  • Your common-law partner isn't legally married to you, can be of either sex and has been living or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship

  • Your conjugal partner isn't legally married to you or in a common-law relationship with you, can be either of either sex and has been in a continuous and committed relationship with you for at least 12 months but have had significant obstacles that prevent residing with each other (such as legal, cultural, religious or immigration barriers)

The person you are sponsoring must:

  • Be at least 18 years old

  • Pass all background, security and medical checks

Contact Lumen Immigration for more information about spousal sponsorship or assistance applying for spousal sponsorship.

bottom of page