top of page

A Study Permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows foreign nationals to study at a designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. They must first apply and be accepted to study at a designated learning institution in Canada and obtain a letter of acceptance, before submitting a study permit application.

A study permit is not a visa and does not allow entry to Canada. You may need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA), depending on your country of citizenship or residence. If your study permit is approved, you will be issued a visa or eTA with your study permit.

Am I eligible for a study permit?

To be eligible to apply for a Canadian study permit, a prospective student must:

  • Qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

    • If you’re under 18, you don’t have to be fully vaccinated. You do need to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan.

  • Obtain a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution

  • Prove you have enough money to pay for

    • Your tuition fees

    • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and

    • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

  • Have no criminal record and may be required to submit a police certificate

  • Be in good health and may be require to complete a medical exam

  • Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

You may not require a study permit:

  • If you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

  • If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). You should contact your embassy in Canada, so they can contact the Office of Protocol at GAC to find out whether you need a study permit.

  • If you are a member of a foreign armed force on official duties in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.

  • If you have Registered Indian status in Canada, even if you’re a citizen of another country.

  • For minor children in kindergarten, is a refugee or refugee claimant, their parents are refugee or refugee claimants; or in pre-school, primary or secondary school, and they're already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit.

Student Direct Stream

If you are a legal resident living in one of the below listed countries, you may be able to get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream (SDS). These applications, in most cases, are processed within 20 calendar days.

  • Antigua and Barbuda

  • Brazil

  • China

  • Colombia

  • Costa Rica

  • India

  • Morocco

  • Pakistan

  • Peru

  • Philippines

  • Senegal

  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • Trinidad and Tobago

  • Vietnam

Contact Lumen Immigration for more information about studying in Canada or assistance applying for a study permit.

bottom of page