top of page

A Visitor Visa, also called a Temporary Resident Visa is an official document issued by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), that is placed in your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada. Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada.

Citizens from visa required countries need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need one if you’re transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to your final destination. While, citizens of visa exempt countries, require an eTA to travel to Canada.

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?


An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.

An eTA doesn’t guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents - such as an U.S. green card. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada.

Am I eligible for a Visitor Visa?


You must meet some basic requirements to get a visitor visa. You must:

  • Have a valid travel document, like a passport

  • Be in good health

  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions

  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country

  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit

  • Have enough money for your stay

    • The amount of money you will need depends on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.


You may also need a medical exam and letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.

Contact Lumen Immigration for more information about visiting Canada or assistance applying for a temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization.

bottom of page