top of page

The Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program (PGP) is one of the two programs that provides Canada citizens and permanent residents the opportunity to sponsor their parents and grandparents to immigrate to Canada. Unlike the Super Visa program, parents and grandparents approved under PGP receive Canadian permanent residence and may eventually be able to apply for Canadian citizenship

Am I eligible to sponsor my parent or grandparent?

To be eligible under the Parents and Grandparents Program, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old

  • Live in Canada

  • Be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a registered Indian in Canada

  • Meet the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) required for the size of your family unit and provide proof of income

  • Sign a sponsorship agreement that acknowledges your promise to provide for the basic needs of family member(s) for a period of 20 years

  • Sign an additional agreement if you live in Quebec

Your spouse or common-law partner can help you meet the income requirement by co-signing the undertaking. If a co-signer is helping you meet the MNI requirements, the co-signer must meet the same eligibility criteria as you, the sponsor. In addition, your co-signer must:

  • not be the person being sponsored,

  • have cohabited with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year.

Who is not eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent?

You are not eligible to sponsor your parents or grandparents if you:

  • Are less than 18 years old

  • Will not live in Canada when you apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents and/or when your parents and grandparents become permanent residents

    • As a potential sponsor, the applicant's primary residential address must be in Canada when you submit your application and until we make a decision on your application.

  • Are not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a registered Indian in Canada

  • Are a temporary resident, that is you’re visiting, studying or working in Canada on a visa or permit

  • Have a permanent residence application that is still in process

    • You must have permanent resident status at the time you submit your sponsorship application.

  • Cannot show proof of income that shows you have the required Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) - enough money to support the people you want to sponsor

In addition, you may not be eligible to sponsor a parent and/or grandparent if you:

  • Are in jail, prison or penitentiary

  • Did not pay back

    • an immigration loan

    • a performance bond

    • court-ordered family support payments such as alimony or child support

  • Did not give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor someone else in the pas

  • Declared bankruptcy and are not discharged

  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability

  • Were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence inside or outside Canada

  • Can not legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order

Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada may have additional reasons for considering a person ineligible to sponsor a parent and/or grandparent.

Contact Lumen Immigration for more information about parent and grandparent sponsorship or assistance applying for parent and grandparent sponsorship.

bottom of page